Now listening to:
Vintage Trouble
The Bomb Shelter Sessions
Hear it on Spotify

Steven Tyler Leaving Aerosmith – My Suggested Replacement

2009-11-06

As many of you have probably already heard, Steven Tyler appears to be leaving Aerosmith. If not permanently then at least for an extended period of time, to focus on his own brand – “Brand Tyler”. Joe Perry was apparently not in the loop, tweeting “Read on line st left band to do “brand Tyler”? That’s all I know but like I’ve said hasn’t called me in months.a bit cold forget us 4 guys” (AdmiralPerry).

Rumour has it Joe, Brad, Tom, and Joey have scheduled a meeting to discuss a possible replacement for Steven. Brad Whitford was quoted in Classic Rock saying “Nobody could replace Steven or imitate him – he’s one of a kind. But if somebody was willing to do it and the chemistry was right, why not?”

I think replacing Steven Tyler and still calling the band Aerosmith has failure written all over it. However, I have a better suggestion: How about approaching Kid Rock about fronting a new band, in the same way that the remaining Rage Against The Machine members joined forces with Chris Cornell to form Audioslave? Now, I know Kid Rock has a very prosperous career of his own, and the Twisted Brown Trucker Band is one of the best backing bands around, but let’s just imagine the awesomeness. Kid Rock is a huge Aerosmith fan, and he has opened for them and played with them on numerous occasions. I think it would be a really great collaboration. Imagine a live show composed of classic Aerosmith songs, and Kid Rock’s southern rock, plus an album of all new songs! I also think Kid Rock has the voice needed to pull off all the classic Aerosmith songs from the seventies. So here is my plea to Joe Perry: Give Bob Ritchie a call – who knows what could happen?

6 Responses to “Steven Tyler Leaving Aerosmith – My Suggested Replacement”

1. Irma says:

Now THAT I’d go see!!!!

But still… like you said… failure written ALL over it. Sad really.

2. Irma says:

To clarify: I don’t mean Kid Rock would a failure! Just that calling it Aerosmith would be a failure! But I could totally see Bob Ritchie doing something pretty amazing with the band!

3. Siabur says:

I think something like what Black Sabbath did when RJ Dio took Ozzy’s place. Sabbath wasn’t the same to they became Heaven and Hell. This would preserve Aerosmiths legacy.

4. Luna says:

I agree completely. There is no Aerosmith without Steven and to replace him & go by the same name would never fly with fans. I like to hope they are smart enough to realize that.

As for a new band fronted by Kid Rock… you’re a genius! LOL I love his singing, but he’s gotten a little too soft for my taste. Maybe having a straight up RNR band, especially as legendary as these guys would be the perfect kick back to his roots.

5. Daniel says:

Glad to hear people are agreeing with me! They could at least do like a one off tour with Kid Rock or something. That should give Steven enough time to get the solo stuff out of his system! :D

6. Tristan Lush says:

Man, I just posted about this today as well. It would be an absolute failure to continue Aerosmith without Steven at the Helm. They are way too old to be doing that. Just retire the band and do something else like Audioslave did. I cant imagine an Aerosmith album without steven tyler.

“all things music”